Wednesday, March 29, 2006

From Idlis to the IIMs


Very inspiring article!!!!
Amazing how people overcome adversity by staring it in face!!!
check it out for yourself!!!!
just in case ur unable to read it from the pic thats attached, an excerpt of the interview in text form is included:

From the slums of Chennai to the hallowed precincts of IIM-A, you are among the select few who realised their dreams...

I always dreamt of earning enough one day to take my mother away from the one room hut we stayed in, to a life of comfort.


I have had a tough childhood and until I joined BITS-Pilani for my graduation, I thought everybody had a similar life.

I was just six when my father left us to face starvation. With a meagre salary of Rs 30, which she earned through a job, she managed to educate me and my siblings.

To make ends meet, she would make idlis and I would sell them on the streets.

But after all this, you refused a job offer of Rs 8.5 lakh per annum?

It would have been very easy to take up a corporate job and give my family all the comforts they have never had. But that's not my ambition.

I'd rather have my own company and employ one person who can support four other lives. That is why I have decided to begin my catering business.

Why only catering?

Serving someone food is an extremely satisfying feeling. The smile that you get after giving good food to someone is
an experience to cherish. Moreover, this industry has less investment and a high turn-over. For the time being though, I am working hard to negotiate offers I have received from different companies and individuals
.

And how is life otherwise?


I love bikes and cars... and yes, I do have a girlfriend who's very supportive


PS: source courtesy ToI!!!

3 comments:

A Arora said...

have ben reading ur blog. simple, honest writing..n very funny too :)

The Infinite said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Viky said...

He's got the thing going, too.

Last week the catering company opened in the presence of Sharath's idols NR Narayanamurthy and IIMA Director Bakul Dholakia.